Although he might not have intended to, Herodotus had created a history, If we look deeper, we can see that he actually compiled information that would be useful not only in learning about Egypt, but also for understanding it. Learning and understanding, obviously, are two different things. For those who might be wondering where I am going with this, the definitions might help. Learning is knowledge acquired by systematic study in any field of scholarly application, while understanding is the mental process of a person who comprehends.
For example, if we think back to our class discussion, Herodotus was from Greece. He was writing a history of a different culture than his. Naturally, he had learned about Egypt while in Greece; however, he understood what he had learned by his experiences traveling in Egypt.
Today, most people are not like Herodotus. We travel all over the world without either learning or understanding the culture in which we will be immersed. It is important in today’s world to know where you are going … at least in a travel sense. An example would be when I went to Uganda two summers ago with Walsh. Part of the preparation for the trip was learning the who, what, when, where, and why of Uganda history. Well, at least the recent history anyways. It was then our responsibility to understand what we had learned in the context of our trop. If this had not been in place, all of the students would have been in complete culture shock and probably very confused as to what was going on most of the time.
Herodotus’s history of Egypt, for me anyways, seemed very much like this type of preparation. Something that people could read in order to learn about Egypt, but also to prepare themselves to travel there. Learning and understanding, even just a small portion about the place that someone travels, can generate a whole different experience during their trip. Different cultures require different actions on the part of the traveler. This is what I have learned during my time abroad, both with my family and Walsh.
So, I hope that you enjoyed reading Herodotus’s history of Egypt as much as this history geek did. And if not, I hope that you at least take away a little of what I am trying to pass along. If you are planning to go abroad with Walsh or even just on vacation, remember what Herodotus’s history of Egypt exemplifies – both learning and understanding the places you plan to visit in the future.
I loved reading your blog because you mention some of the same things that I mentioned in my writing. I like that you said that reading Herodotus is a good preparation for having a travel of your own. like you said in his book he explains that it is just more about just what you see, but understanding every situation and attempting to take something from it. Also the fact about knowing all the basis stuff about where you are going. I know I would not want to be on a trip and then something go wrong and I have no clue of what to do. I also like that you traveled to Uganda with Walsh, I can't wait until I finally go :)
ReplyDeleteI agree that if people read Herodotus, it is a perfect example/guide for travel preps. I also thought it was interesting how he made an effort to understand the Egyptian culture which is far different from his. I think we can all learn from that example that it is important to learn about other cultures.
ReplyDeletePS- Thanks for the Uganda talk today!
Your concepts of learning versus understanding is compelling. As I said in my blog, it probably wasn't easy for a Greek man to immerse himself into the Egytian culture and document his surroundings. I say this because the Greeks thought very highly of themselves. But for "Harry" not only to learn, but understand Egypt is the essence that makes his work a piece of history.
ReplyDelete=]